Help me decide which rooster to keep! UDATE!!! THEY WERE SAVED!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Year of the Rooster, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sadly, I can't decide between two roosters that I really like. I can only keep one silkie rooster, as the rest will be getting butchered on Thursday [​IMG] Two of them I don't mind because of the major faults but these two are really nice and I'd hate to see the one I reject die. I am sad about them being butchered, but i'm worried that I may make the mistake of keeping the wrong rooster, as far as good traits go. Could you please help me?

Rooster #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rooster #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were ordered from Ideal Hatchery so I do not expect them to be great quality. If needed, I can post a video of them. Thanks for any opinions, and if someone is interested they may take whatever roo I decide not to keep, as long as they can pick it up.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I am not at all into Silkies, but I really like #1.

What does that tell you?

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i say number 2 as he looks more fluffed out like a silkie the 1st one looks like it isnt as fluffed out, and number 2 looks so much more witer i like it

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Sorry about you have to chose ( I surely couldn't pick just one) but maybe someone will take the other roo off your hands so you know it's in a good place. I would go with rooster #2

5. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

I like #2 also---you really should ask PouletsDeCajun, he breeds them to show and would be a way better judge than me. [​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Thanks. I may ask him. I hope he sees this thread.

7. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I would say rooster #1. His comb and wattles are closer to mulberry IMHO.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think you should go with the one that you think has the better personality. And then try to find a home for the other one.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    They look so similar that I would concur that you might consider keeping the friendliest roo that gets along well with your other birds.

Suzy

[​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Number one has a slightly darker comb... but number 2 had better foot feathering and what looks like it will be a fuller tail. But keep the one with the better personality and temperament with the girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by