Help me decide....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by grammypam, Apr 13, 2011.

1. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I am planning on getting a few ducklings. I'm thinking 4?. I have 2 breeds in mind. Pekins and Cayugas. Should I get all females, a pr of each,or a trio of each. Mainly for pets and a few eggs. Any suggestions? Advice? Hoping to order soon. Also,has anyone gotten ducklings from MMH?

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I am not a duck farmer. Only do chickens so not sure if duck math is the same as chicken math but if it is then I would say a trio of each!!!!! That would equal your original number of 4 right??? [​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds like good duck math to me [​IMG]

4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I would get all female if you don't need or want fertile eggs. A male duck does best with 3 or more females to share the burden of mating.

5. grammypam

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    Cacky.....LOL , I was thinking the same thing. [​IMG]

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I would get either 3 females and one male (that is what I currently have) or 4 females. No more drakes than one in a group of 4. It is fun having the drake and watching him keep his girls in line. He makes sure the flock stays together, it's really cute. He was a jerk to the last female we got, when we first got her, but now they are inseparable.

7. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    If you're going to get a drake, I'd only get 1 and 3 girls. But if you're getting all girls....I like pairs, but that's my preference. I adore my Cayuga too. She's everything I could have wanted in a duck, and more. Even her laying ability far surpasses what I was told to expect. Only I heard they were quiet, but she is LOUD when I'm not giving her proper attention. I guess all girls are that way though.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  8. grammypam

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    Thanks all for your comments and advice. I ended up ordering 2 female Pekins and 2 female Cayugas. Can't wait to get them. Will be here next wk. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by