1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Me Decide!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CourtneyC, May 17, 2011.

1. CourtneyC

CourtneyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I am trying to figure out which breed of chicken I should get.

Here is some background info.
    I live in southeastern Ohio. I am a huge animal lover. We almost have our coop built. I am wanting chickens that lay good large brown eggs. I would also like ones that are very sociable, because I will be outside with them a lot. I have read that buff orpington's are really good, but I am having trouble finding them in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned chickens before and I am very much looking forward to this experience!!
    Thanks again!![​IMG]

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I'd reccomend Production Reds ("Rhode Island Reds" "New Hampshire Reds") from a hatchery if you want really friendly walk-right-up-to-you birds.

Much more personable than my Buff Orps!

[​IMG]

3. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I agree with production reds.I am suprised that buffs are hard to find.Try sex links or orloffs.

4. CourtneyC

Mar 24, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:Thanks! I never even considered Rhode Island Reds. I for some reason thought that they were not very friendly. Maybe that is just the roosters?

5. CourtneyC

Mar 24, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:Forgive me but I am new too chickens. What are orloffs? And sex links just mean that you know whether they are girls or boys right? Sorry I really don't know anything yet, but I am trying too learn!

6. littledirtlanefarms

littledirtlanefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I suggest Cochins...they come in sooooo many colors and are great lap birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by