Help me design my new space!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoManyHats, Mar 2, 2014.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I've got an 8ft x 23ft area to work with. I want to put in pens for breeding, grow-out, and brooding. How would you divide it up?

Thanks!

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Brooding doesn't require alot of space, especially if you only keep them in their for 1 week or less. I would give 6 feet of the 23 dedicated to brooding. I would also give 9 feet to growing-out, and 8 feet to breeding. I'm really not sure how many birds you plan on doing but an average small flock, this should do it.

3. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    My brooding area needs to have space for broody hens also. Will 6ft still be enough?

4. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Why don't you tell me some of the numbers you plan on using. Number of broody hens, number of chickens in the breeding area, etc.

5. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Currently plans are for 2 breeding groups - each with 4 hens, one rooster. I plan to hatch a dozen or so at a time myself. I'm not sure how many broody hens to count on...

6. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Sounds like it might be perfect for you, to have a growing-out area of 8ft, and the other two areas at 7.5ft This way it's all very even, and it may work perfectly for your situation. It might even make it a bit easier during construction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by