Help me diagnose or help me stop mis-diagnosing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLBYChickens, Oct 31, 2016.

1. FLBYChickens

FLBYChickens New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    So, here is the scoop....
    I have a hen who may be a year old if not older, I am unsure since the individual I purchased from said a year and we are forced to go with his word. I have had the hen for a little over a month, she hasn't laid an egg since I brought her home. Within a week of bringing her home, my RIR pullet became ill and passed. Now she was doing better until she got caught in a hurricane rain storm and died within a few hours of that scenario.
    Ok, so let me get to the symptoms this hen has displayed and we can move forward. She was lethargic, runny nose, head sunken into body, foamy eye in corner of only one eye, and a cough. I did not notice any wheezing or gasping for breath at all. She was administered tetracycline for ten days and has recovered, however, she still has this constant cough, or what I assume to be a cough. It almost sounds like a clearing of the throat, I guess. I did not separate her from the flock and other than the very young RIR who died, which could have been bad husbandry, admittedly, I have not lost another one to whatever illness was present.
    My question is this, the hen still has the cough and runny nose at times and bubbles in the corner of her one eye which seems to go away after the early morning, what could it be?
    Should I cull the hen or let her live?
    She hasn't laid and egg yet and I am new to chickens and not willing to risk an entire flock for her. I plan on expanding the flock periodically until I reach my goal of 12-15 hens.

2. FLBYChickens

FLBYChickens New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Poop is normal. Drinking, free-ranging, and eating normally. Very active and besides the cough is very vocal. Pecking other hens when necessary in order with pecking order. She does everything the other hens do who are all healthy hens. Hope this added info can help assist whoever may be able to help me diagnose or help me realize this is normal.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I read your post 3 hours ago and was thinking how to respond. Now with your added info, I suggest you just keep your hen and maybe she will shake out, and eventually start laying. Now is a time when laying is dwindling in many peeps flocks due to shorter daylight. As well as molting.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. and [​IMG]

4. FLBYChickens

FLBYChickens New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Do you think she is a health risk to the other hens? The runny nose is all day long as well as the cough. The bubbly eyes go away typically after the early morning.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If it is contagious your other hens already have it. Similarly I may have sinus issues and my wife wont. We live together.[​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have in fact already risked your entire flock. I hope you will quarantine your next additions because culling after the fact will not protect the rest of your flock. [​IMG]

Your hen that just moved has undergone a major stress. And that in itself could be enough to stop her from laying until she is well settled in with the group. That is fairly common. And if she is indeed 1 year old, she may soon be entering molt which would further delay laying. (If you're entering winter like me.)

Can I ask what you feed including treats? And do you supplement light?

7. FLBYChickens

FLBYChickens New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    I understand that I risked the entire flock by introducing her initially. I have a local breeder who I will solely deal with going forward.
    To answer your questions, I feed them an all natural layer mash, occassionally free,choice oyster shells, and about twice a week some seed mix treats. They do free range between 2-3 hours a day, although they haven't free ranged the past couple days because the new hens which are from the local breeder are still acclimating to their new coop.
    I have only been raising chickens for a little over two months and have learned so much but there is seemingly much more to learn and I'm sure I will never stop learning about them and from them.
    Thank you so much for the help.

I also posted a thread with a link for a YouTube video but the moderators haven't approved it yet. It shows the hen with the cough and her coughing.

She was culled last night just as precaution and no additional members will go into that coop and run area. This was difficult but what I felt was necessary for her and the rest of the flock, even if they have been already exposed since the risk of continous exposure would be worse.

Thanks again for everything.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Google ILT Virus....Possibly what is going on....?

Cheers!

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I'm sure that stunk. [​IMG]

Even dealing with only one local breeder, I still suggest quarantine. They may have different organisms in their dirt than you do. And so introducing some of your dirt to the new ones will help them build some immunity before being tossed in your yard full time. [​IMG]

I have a feeling I will ALWAYS have more to learn, and I am glad for that! So don't feel as though you are alone.

Hope you get to enjoy raising them and making friends here on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by