Help me entertain my chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hoosierfarmgirl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Can anyone give me some ideas for "toys" to put in the brooder for the chicks to peck at or entertain themselves with? Also, I have heard people talk about a treat list. Can anyone direct me to that? My chicks are less than a week old, but I want to be prepared!

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Well the list from this week included dried leaves and pine cones from the garden, I know mine love them! [​IMG]

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Was that for the toy? Yes it is a very newbie question but I had to ask.

4. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks, I have lots of those!

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    My chicks will be a week old Wed. can they play with that stuff... now thats probability a dumb question.

6. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    There is a treat list I think in the Learning Center.

My chicks LOVE to play in soil. I also put in a few cabbage leaves and they have a bird toy hanging from the top but it is still spooking them for now (has bells on the bottom).

7. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I put the pine cones and things in at 1 week and they've done more than fine. Also yes dirt and grass, thing with dirt and grass is make sure they have had grit so if they are eating it they can tolerate it.

8. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    So mine are 1 week old. I can put a pine cone in? I just want to keep them on the chick starter right now so that's fine with a pine cone, right? I just feel like they need something to DO.

9. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I also put a smal branch in mine as a mini-perch and they have fun jumping on and off of it

10. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Yes - your chick can play with pine cones! And try some cat toys - also a mirror. Mine absolutely went crazy over a mirror I left in their brooder from day one. We also made a little roost for them - it had three sticks at three different heights. They played on that thing every day.

Now my babies have babies of their own - and they run around the yard playing with everything they find. I can't imagine what you can't put in the brooder for those babies! Well, I can - but I mean things that won't be harmful.

Enjoy those babies! That's such a fun age.

Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by