Help me fatten this Silkie up

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SunnySkies, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Seriously, this little lady is going to be the death of me. She is a teeny little thing and very timid. The terrorists, aka the roosters (now gone to freezer camp), beat her up one day a month ago when they jumped into the Silkie pen. I brought her in and stuck her in the brooder box with the chicks to make sure she could eat and not be harassed. She isn't the pushiest of girls, so I'm not sure she ate like she should even with the chicks, who are quite boisterous, but she did OK for a few weeks in the brooder. I found her last week practically collapsed, gave her sugar water and an egg via syringe, and she perked right up within the hour. I kept her by herself for a couple days and she was fine, so I put her back with the other Silkies over the weekend, thinking she might do better with them now. She did it again today. I've got her on vitamins and planning to pick up some vitamin E capsules, just in case she has a vitamin deficiency, but I need some ideas for high calorie, high quality feed for her to help get some fat on her. Her breastbone is exceptionally prominent, even for a Silkie.

I use Flock Raiser currently. Not the best, but it's what I can easily obtain here that all my birds can eat. I tried giving Ultrakibble and various supplements, such as Kickin Chicken, in the past, but nobody would eat the feed then. I'm worried about her. Of course, she is the sweetest and prettiest girl.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Food guarding is common. Add a second feeder as far as possible from the first so that she has somewhere safe to eat otherwise this will continue. If there is one bad bully you may want to consider rehoming to making soup to help your flock get along.

I would give live mealworms and scrambled eggs. You could also try a high protein turkey or game bird feed.

3. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm giving her eggs scrambled with some cream to add a bit of fat, mealworms, yogurt and some feed. She ate crumbles and a bit of scratch on her own with some assistance this evening, and her crop felt somewhat full. Maybe if I keep stuffing her she will fatten up and recover some strength.

The problem doesn't seem to be the others. It seems to be her. She just doesn't jump in there and eat like the others do. None are guarding the feeders. I'm wondering if the rooster attack caused long term brain damage; she has a vaulted skull. She might end up being a house chicken or have to live by herself with one other hen or be rehomed as a pet. There isn't anything to her that would make it worth my time plucking her for soup.

The kids named this one Micro. It fits. She is the tiniest Silkie I've ever seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by