1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me figure out cause of death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommaBee, Jan 4, 2014.

1. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    We woke up yesterday to find two dead chickens. We have had a flock of 6 hens and added 2 more in the spring and 2 more this past summer. The youngest 2 were about 6 mo old and they were the 2 found dead. No sigh of intruder, other chickens did not seem distressed. One was found dead on the coop floor and the other was roosting on a ledge above the egg boxes. Looking like they just died in their sleep. We have noticed they've had a hard time joining the flock. The others don't let them eat much, but I always put a bowl of food in the coop so they can eat in peace. We have had cold nights, and it doesn't look like they were sleeping in the main roosting pole with the others. But this particular night wasn't our coldest, maybe 25-35 degrees. The coop stays warm with 10 birds. Anyway I am confused why they died, and worried about it being a disease. I did see a spot on the ground that looked like spit, which I found odd. The others were pecking at it. Guessing mucus of some kind?
    What should I be looking for to figure out this mystery and what can I do if it's a disease?
    We had to put our old dog down yesterday as well. I'm not sure I can handle anymore deaths around here.
    Thanks for any help!

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    I'm truly sorry for your loss. It breaks your heart to lose family like that. I'm messed up for days after such things. I've had to put down a few friends.

I can't help with the cause of death. I just wanted to offer my condolences. A kind word from someone who knows the weight in your heart and tears that are ever ready to come.

We'll pray for you.

3. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas

Thank you so very much! He was my dear friend. He has been with me before marriage and kids, so he's seen a lot since I adopted him in college. He had a good life though until the last few months, it was time. Thank you really! It means a lot!!

As for the chickens, we still can figure it out!
    I just pray it's not a desiese. Everyone else seems healthy. But maybe I'm missing something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by