Help me figure out if I have males or female ducks

MallardNight3

Chirping
May 18, 2016
Minnesota
I currently have two very fun and wonderful ducks which were purchased as mallards but not a 100% sure if there mallards or rouen's. The two ducks are still young and just getting all there wings. They both have complete opposite personality but are also very close to each other and always together. One is usually very vocal and active and loves the mini pool, the other is shy, sits a lot and not very vocal. So with all this info I have been thinking for a long time I may have a male and female but now that they are getting white on there wings and making me think that I may have two females, but I'm still new to this so please help me out, here are some photos.
[/IMG][/IMG]

They all feather out the same initially, and then around 10 weeks, give or take, the males will molt into their breeding plumage - the traditional green head, gray body, etc. They do look like they could be Rouen, but without something else in the pic to compare their size to it's hard to say. Their body shape doesn't look very Mallard-y, but I had a huge Mallard once that was more Rouen-shaped... he ended up being around 4lbs, so he was definitely not actually a Rouen.

This is what a young (about 6 weeks old) female will sound like - very loud when she quacks.
0.jpg

This is what a male will sound like (he's about 3 months here - obviously not a mallard, lol, but you can hear a few that are in the background...they all sound about the same). They are still talkative, but nowhere near as loud.
0.jpg

Hope that helps!
smile.png

Ok so here's a picture of duck A. Loves people and sits all the time and usually follows the other one everywhere, not very vocal unless sometimes when separated and I got lucky to get the video then it became quiet and played in the water. Trying to post video of quacking but having trouble from my phone. But both sound just like the first video.

Here is duck B, very very vocal and over protective all the chickens and ducks, alerts everyone when something flys over head. Will get very loud if seperated from the other duck unless sleeping and always the last one to go in the coop every night. Also randomly gets very vocal out of no where and loves standing straight up. Both will also eat straight out of hand and they always stick together. Other one is a little smaller. Unfortunately got them as fresh born babies so I couldn't tell if they were Mallards or Rouen's. Either way still great ducks.

Aww, itty bitty babies! <3
Leaning toward saying they're mallards, and if they both definitely sound like my first video, then they're girls.

If they are quacking, they are ducks (hens). The drakes sound more like croaking frogs. They look like Rouens, which makes sense coming from a feed store.

Back
Top Bottom