help me figure out lockdown???? PLEASE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, Mar 15, 2011.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I set my eggs last wednesday March 9th around 9 am
    What day I put the incubator into LOCKDOWN? and What day will be hatch day? I keep reading different things
    Thanks
    I appreciate all your help.

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    March 9th is your day 1
    Lockdown is day 18ish so March 26th, since you set them in the am I would stick with the 26th. Some people lock down on day 19 particularly if you set eggs later in the evening on day 1.
    Chicks can hatch as early as day 19 (March 27th for you) often on the 20th day (March 28th) and finishing on the 21st day (March 29th) Some can hatch as late as 24 days though depending on how they develop and what your temps are like.

Good luck!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Day 21 is the same day of the week as day 1. Day 1 is the first full day, so March 10th would be your day 1.

For an example, look at the month of May in a 2011 calendar - Say you set your eggs on Sunday the 1st. The NEXT day, Monday the 2nd is Day 1. The 21st day after that is the 22nd, a Sunday, the same day of the week you set the eggs.

You lock down the 'bator on day 18, and days 19, 20 and 21 are the three days for an AVERAGE hatch. Average means "most" but it also means some chicks hatch before then and some hatch afterwards.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    that is very confusing

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Day 1 is the first FULL day of incubation. Not the day you set the eggs, but the next day. Day 1 is the day after you set the eggs. The day you set the eggs would be Day 0 (zero).

So, in the OP's example, March 10 is Day 1 (not the 9th, the day the eggs were set).
    Day 18 is March 27th, the day the turning is stopped and the humidity is raised for "lock-down."
    Lockdown is for at least 3 days: Day 19 is 3/28, Day 20 is 3/29, and Day 21 is 3/30.

21 days is the AVERAGE incubation period for chicken eggs. "Average" means the most eggs hatch on Day 21, but some may hatch earlier or later than that.

For calculating the Average Hatch Date, notice that the 30th of March is the same day of the week, Wednesday, as the day the eggs were set, on Wednesday 3/9.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    That makes a lot of sense ty

7. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    So if I am reading this correctly, I go into "lockdown" on the 28th in the morning around he same time I set them, 9:30am and they should hatch 3 days later around the 30th???

Thanks

8. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I think I just re-read this. Lockdown for me is the 27th and the 28th/29th/30th are all days in lockdown????
    Gosh this is SO confusing it shouldn't be so hard, but I am wanting to make sure I get this correct.
    Thanks
    Danielle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by