1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me figure out the breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Chook, Dec 29, 2014.

1. The Chook

The Chook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    As everyone would I leaped at the chance to get free chooks. I wasn't told the breed. I think two are Plymouth Rocks but I am really stuck with my goldy pullet and colourful rooster. They have feathers on their feet. Here are some photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    They are both mixes. Then hen has 5 toes so she probably has silkie or salmon faverolles in her somewhere, as there isn't many 5 toed breeds.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The barred birds are probably Barred Rocks, or possibly Dominiques depending on their comb type (single=rock, rose=Dominique). The others are mixed breeds.

4. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Barred hen is dominique, Hen may be salmon faverolle, EE mix with possible buff orp mixed in. Roo looks like mix of silver and golden lace wing wyndotte, but the comb came from another breed. Just guessing based on what I see. I don't mix breeds in my flock, but have been considering a cross between buff orp roo and BR hens.

5. PrestonC

PrestonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    You're cockerel with feathers on his shanks looks to me like he has marans blood in him. Marans are single combed and have feathers which only line the outside (lateral) part of the shank. BUT marans do not have white ear loves, so like the others said, he definitely is a mix.

Your small female looks to be a mix of some sort involving a partridge silkie.

I can see where others are coming from with the thought salmon faverolles, more so in the male's plumage than the female.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Being as you're in Australia, I'm going to float the idea she's a goldtop hen, a sex link cross of a gold silkie rooster over a light Sussex hen. The classic version seems to use a buff silkie, but I'm wondering of someone used a partridge instead, with her coloring. I'd also wonder if the cockerel is the male of the cross. The white legs could easily indicate Sussex heritage. His color throws me some, but I don't know if the partridge father would throw something like this at all. Then again, that nice straight comb probably means he's not, or not a first generation at least...you're not going to get that with a silkie parent. They could be someone bred goldtops to goldtops. She's sure a cute little thing, and if I'm right she has a great chance of going broody.

By the way, the barring on your Rocks is beautiful! Nice and crisp....we don't get that from hatchery stock here in the States so much.

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Those are very good observations. :eek:)

9. The Chook

The Chook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    My cockerel and my little golden hen don't have 5 toes but there is a chance that they were crossed with a silver lace wyandotte and a white silkie rooster. I have no idea. They were just freebies and who doesn't want free chooks? Thanks for your help :) The young cockerel certainly gets up to mischief with my little golden pullet. We have a big tree in the middle of the pen and they like to roost in it at night.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of my cockerel, Charlie, getting in a fight with my 3 yr old Sussex hen, Mayvis. The hen won obviously. hehe

10. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    [​IMG]
    This picture shows his size better and he now looks more like a silkie mix. Head of hen not right for goldtop--no blue comb or wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by