Help me figure out their sex

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ilovechickens, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]I know that this sounds goofy, but I have 8 Guineas and would like to know how many females. I think that I have 5 males possibly 6 and 2 females. Okay here are they are:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I am new at this too. A friend of mine told me that the ones with the large earlobe thingies were male and the smaller earlobes were female. I'm not sure it is true but it may help. Maybe someone else has some way to tell. [​IMG]

3. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    :/The only way that I've been able to tell my Guineas' sexes were by the calls they make as adults. Females make a two syllable call which sounds much like "buck-wheat!", where as the males do not. They both, however, do make a one syllable "alarm" call.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It is almost impossible to tell just by looking at them. As stated before, the females make a two-syllable call, and the males make a single call. The males is kind of like 'cheet cheet cheet' where the females are 'buck wheat, buck wheat, buck wheat' mine sound more like 'come back come back come back', but you get the idea! [​IMG]

5. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    The females will have a slightly smaller helmet. The tip of it might also be lower (closer to the head). The waddles may also be smaller, there is something slightly different with their shape as well.

6. BigByrd24

BigByrd24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    The second pic is of to males. Just by comparing them to my Guineas. But it is hard to really tell. This spring you will know 100%. The Female can also copy the sound of the male, and my females sound a lot like Put-Rock- put rock, etc. This is a good web page

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/
    Scroll down to the bottom on the left side of the list look at the 9 and 10 one.

Hope this helps....

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've NEVER seen a guinea. They look like star speckled turtles with a clown face. amazing. what do you do with them?

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Female guineas have flatter/ less cupped wattles, the males are much more cupped.

The just about 100% way to tell is feel the pelvic bones. Hold the guinea and run your hand down the keel. you can feel it end and the pelvic bones will be on either side. The male will have the pelvic bones close together, about one finger width apart. The females will be much wider you can usually fit 2 or 3 fingers between them. Go figure the female has to be wider to pass the egg. Even in pullets you can feel it but it won't be as wide as one that is laying. The hardest part is getting the guinea to sit still long enough to feel it. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

9. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I have two guineas. 1 male and 1 female. You can tell them apart by those red combs they have off to the side of their cheeks. The males have round ones and the females' are flat against their face.

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah, the females have smaller diamond shaped wattles and crest. Usually, the wattles lay flat on females and stick out sideways on males, but, males with flat wattles are not rare(looks like you have some of those).. some males even have one wattle that sticks out and the other laying flat. Some females' wattles do try to cup and stick out a little but they stay small.

When the females are laying the sexes behave different. The males often raise their wings sort of like sails/swans do and make a lot of dashing runs at other birds. Females seem more 'submissive' and also they develop a big bump above their tail. So at peak breeding the males body profile looks "round" to his wing raising and the females look "lumpy" due to keeping wings close to her body and developing that bump above tail.

One more thing, males seem to have a much bigger fleshy nose than females.. not sure how consistent that is though.

I agree both in the second picture are males- their wattles are big and stick out sideways. Third pic, hen on right and probably a male with flat wattles on left. Bottom two are pics of same hen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by