Help me figure out what I saw when I candled (day 7)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by full sun, Sep 17, 2011.

1. full sun

full sun New Egg

Sep 17, 2011
    Howdy! It's been years since I've been here and years since I have incubated and hatched eggs. I need help! I've set eggs in an older Top Hat incubator seven days ago. I candled today and saw the embryos. My problem is that the embryos, veins and other good are all fixed on one side of the egg in every egg I candled. And it seems to take up only half the egg. It seems to me that when I have done this in the past, the whole egg is filled up with just a bit of air bubble on the top. Maybe I am remembering wrong? Or is something wrong? Can it be fixed? I have checked several times to make sure the turner is moving and it does click along. Maybe the eggs aren't turning properly despite the automatic turner. I have successfully hatched eggs a few times with this incubator, but like I said, it's been a while and it appears I am rusty....

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I seem to have this occur too. So far, my eggs have hatched out great. (7 out of 7 and 6 out of 7). I think this is normal. As long as your turner is working, I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    this is totally normal

4. full sun

full sun New Egg

Sep 17, 2011
    Pheww!! [​IMG] Thanks for letting me know!

5. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    So i was wondering would it be bad if I shook all my eggs. It seems easier for me then candling. Can I?

6. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:don't shake them thats bad.

7. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana

Really bad.

8. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS

Really bad.

So, so bad. You don't want to give them Shaken Embryo Syndrome, do you?

I wound up buying a $9 mini-maglite from Home Depot or Lowes. It's one of the 2 AA ones, and it came with (this is a really helpful part) a firm rubber anti-roll cap to put over the lens sleeve. That cap smuts (smuts? Really, ipad? No, SNUGS) up perfectly to the air cell of my eggs, so the 20 lumens or so of the light give me a really good image.

I promise you that candling is waaaaay less trouble than trying to not break eggs that you killed while you throw them out ... Or than cleaning 'sploded egg out of your incubator.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  9. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    okay I wont shake. I candled for the 1st time in Day 14. so far to stink eggs. They can EXPLODE!!! [​IMG]

10. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma

Really bad.

Don't shake the baby !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by