Help me figure out what my babies are....please! *PIC HEAVY*

qtmomo112

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Bahamas
Firstly sorry for the extremely long post. and the load of pictures
ok so to start the story off i bought eggs from a local feed store (also our diving shop around here lol) and popped them in the incubator and well 21 days later i had 11 little peepers running around. they are now 3 1/2 weeks old. since the chickens the store owner has are free range i know all the babies are mixed but i was hoping to get some guess at what they might be mixed between. thanks a bunch to whoever can help me!!
so ill start with the adults (since im a newbie and not sure on the breeds)

the black ones with the red chest (so sorry to sound stupid)

big white one

grey and brown in the back (pretty sure this ones an EE, has muffs and blue legs)

sorry for poor picture quality (red in color. rhode island?)

this confuses me the most (barred rock, plymouth rock or dominique...and what are the differences)

and now my babies

Black with reddish brown chest feather are black stars. The big white girl is probably Plymouth rock. I can't really tell with the pictures but those red colored birds probably are rhode island reds.

Dominique and Barred Rocks/Plymouth Rocks (same bird goes by either name) have different combs. A Dominique has a rose comb and the others have a single comb.

single comb rose comb (our dominique)
There is also a difference in the striping pattern/size of the bars.
I think typically feed stores and such have the Barred Rocks. The Dominique's are considered a rare breed and are on the ALBC Conservation's watch list.

These are black stars, otherwise known as black sexlinks.

This is a white Plymouth Rock.

big white one

Definitely an EE.

Rhode Island Red

Barred Rock

Looks like an EE

(Is that that a beard? If it is, then this would be an EE.)

This is either a Jersey Giant or an Australorp. If it has yellow bottomed feet, it is a Jersey Giant (JG). If it has pink bottomed feet, it is an Australorp.

Are the legs yellow or pink/white? If they're pink/white, it's a white Orpington or a white Wyandotte. If the legs are yellow, it could be a white Plymouth Rock or a Cornish X.

Looks like a Rhode Island Red to me.

EE. See how the legs are green, and it has a beard. (Or does it?)

Barred Rock

This looks like an EE. It's a bit young to tell, though.

I betcha this lil fella is a white Orpington or a white Wyandotte.

These look like EEs.

Barred Rock

Hope this helped! If I am wrong, please do tell me, because I want to be as good as possible at guessing breeds, so this is good practice, and correction helps me to learn.

qtmomo112-

You didn't sound the least bit stupid, and the long post was no problem. You sounded like a chicken newbie who just wants to know what breeds he/she has. The long post and picture overload was actually very helpful. Glad I could help. Have fun with the chooks!

To answer your question about the difference between a Barred Rock, Plymouth Rock, and Dominique:

The Plymouth Rock is a breed of chicken that has several different plumage variants. The Barred Rock is one of those variants, so the Barred Rock is the same thing as the Plymouth Rock, but just sports a different plumage variant.

The difference between the Dominique and the Barred Rock/Plymouth Rock is very simple: The Plymouth Rock/Barred Rock has a single comb, while the Domique has a rose comb. I sincerely hope that helped.

Have a great day!
Hannah!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
the info was greatly appreciated and helped me learn so much
other questions...... do EE have to have green legs?
and how can you tell white orpingtons from a white plymouth rock?

Last edited:
From what I understand an EE can lay any color egg from light cream to blue to green to pink. Sorry but no clue on the other. I would imagine though that the body/feather shape would be different.

Back
Top Bottom