Help me figure out why chick died

lbartsch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Hello Everyone:

We are new to this forum and new to chicken raising. We got four chicks yesterday and set them up as we've read and were instructed. Nonetheless one died overnight last night and I'm hoping maybe one of you can help me figure out why and if I need to do something for the other chicks. The one that died was a week and half old Silver Laced Wyandotte. We picked her at the feed store because she looked active and lively. But when we got home that activity turned manic and she was just running around the brooder sometimes banging into the walls. At first we thought she was just flipped out at the car ride home and the stress of the move. But, hours later it didn't stop. I got really concerned but thought we'd just wait till the morning and see what happens. I went to check on the chicks this morning and she was dead. She almost looked smushed too. Can anyone help me figure out what happened so I can protect the others? They all look fine to me but I'm so inexperienced. Right now (its 6am) the three remaining are sleeping all lined up in a row near the feeder all breathing nicely. The others are also a week and half but different breeds. Two are Araucanas and one is a Rhode Island Red. There's going to be a lot of crying when the m daughters wake up. Thanks for your help.

It's a sad way to join BYC, but welome!

Given the age and circumstances, I am mystified as well. It sounds like she just panicked and then keeled over. Are your temps okay? Is there a huge difference between the bin or cage they were in and what you're using as a brooder? Did the kids handle her more roughly?

I'm just taking shots in the dark here. Sorry you lost one, hope all the others thrive.

Thanks for your response so quickly. It is possible she got panicked and just keeled over but she was acting so cuckoo for so many hours. I was worried she had some sort of brain defect or condition making her crazy. I don't think the kids handled her roughly as I am always watching them and making sure they are gentle and very careful with them but she could've been dropped when I wasn't looked I suppose. She was very hard to hold because she was so squirmy and one of the girls could've tried to pick her up and then dropped her back into the brooder. The temps in the brooder seem fine and the others look quite comfortable. They are quiet and napping together in a cooler spot of the brooder. It's really hot here today already so that makes sense. Anyway thanks for your response and I'm thinking we'll be back out at the feed store to replace that one today. My 6YO daughter who named the one that died is going to be so sad.

Back
Top Bottom