Help me figure the Breed of my 1 month old chicks :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MarioBranwell, Feb 6, 2019.

1. MarioBranwell

MarioBranwell In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2019
    Can you guys tell me what breed, Gender and color of the egg it lays. I doubt whether it is a broiler :(. I prefer it to be a Rhode island white. If im wrong please correct me! Attached below are the Pictures. q.jpg qq.jpg qqq.jpg qqqqq.jpg

2. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    Looks like a cockerel, I have no idea what breed though maybe a white leghorn?

3. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    No idea what the breed is, But the comb is very red and large so my bet is on a rooster.

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Cockerel.

Not a Rhode Island White; they should have rose combs. Even the varieties that do not have rose combs have yellow shanks. He has white shanks.

Looks too heavy-built for a Leghorn. Leghorns also have yellow shanks.

Maybe a Plymouth White Rock? They're broilers, but a little lighter than other broilers. EDT: never mind. I forgot they have yellow shanks too.

5. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    That's definitely a male.
    However the pink legs don't match up with White Plymouth Rock(they should have yellow)
    It's too heavy to be a White Leghorn.
    It's not a Rhode Island White, as they should have rose combs, and even the RIW's that don't should have yellow legs.
    A White Orpington maybe, as it has the pink legs and single comb.
    Other then that the only suggestion I have is a Cornish Cross broiler, and if that is the case you have a problem...

6. MarioBranwell

Jan 16, 2019
    I thought cornish cross had partial feathers. Like there will be feathers on the lower wings and totally skin on upper part. In this case My chiks have feathers all over the body.

NOTE. The female chicken of the same breed has pink comb. :confused:

7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Male! No female chick will have redness like that! Maybe a white orpington.

Melky, drumstick diva and Alexandra33 like this.
  8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Before venturing a breed guess, where did you get this handsome little man? :love

~Alex

9. MarioBranwell

Jan 16, 2019
    Hi Alex, I bought these from an old man who was selling baby chicks in a small box just outside the market. I found it cute and bought them. At that time I didn't worry about the breed. Just wanted to take these little chaps home :)

Melky, drumstick diva and Alexandra33 like this.
  10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Thank you for extra information. :) Sounds as though mixed breed could be a possibility, which is what I'm leaning towards at present. White Orpington would be the closest match, but as far as I know, not easy to find.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: