Help me find a home for my duck :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Jet needs to find a new home soon... Some of you will remember that she has a past hip injury (I don't really like to talk about how that happened.) that didn't heal right. She now (according to the vet) has a contracted tendon due to being pretty immobile for awhile. We've been trying to work with her so she can walk around again, but so far she's only able to stand for a second or two, longer with her little duck shoes that give her some grip on the floor, and she can stand and groom her tummy if you give her a bit of support. I'm not sure if she'll ever be able to walk again or not and even if she can she'll need to live somwhere very secure (I doubt she could regain full mobility), but if there's a chance, she needs somebody with more time for her than we have. I'd really rather not have to put her down, so I wanted to check on here first because I want her to have a chance if anybody wants to take her home with them. I tried convincing the parents to let her just be a house duck, sitting happily on the couch like she often does, but they aren't too interested in the smell and potential mess. [​IMG]

I don't have any good recent pictures, but if anybody would like some I'll take some. Please let me know if you're interested or know anybody who might be! I live in Western Mass.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it might help find a home if you had some pics up

3. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    I'll certainly take some pictures the next chance I get. I just didn't have any decent ones on hand.

Here are a few poor quality phone pictures for now though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her left leg is the one that doesn't work properly. She's gotten the hang of swimming with it very well, but when she tried to stand or walk, her ankle knuckles over and then the whole leg kicks back. If she had somebody who would give her treats and let her swim and sit on the couch all day, she'd be as happy as a clam even if she couldn't walk. I wish I could keep her, but there's no way I'll be allowed to keep her inside through the winter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I know you need a home for her and unfortunately I am having my own duck issues right now, but what about trying to find a sanctuary in your area that would take her? I am sure there is somewhere out there that rescues farm animals and they might be able to help you out. She would be put up for adoption and they would find her a great home. Make sure it is a reputable shelter or rescue though. Google the Nevins Farm in Methuen, MA. That is where I got all my ducks from. They are wonderful people. It is probably too far for you, but maybe there is someone in Western MA, or one of the other states that you are near. Good luck, hope you find her a great place.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2 hoping it works out you can find a great home for her.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    veronicasmom,

I know it's crayonsmom's duck, but I really appreciate the lead to the Methuen farm. That's a good thing to know about.

You're in my thoughts every day - you and your ducks and rabbits.

7. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll definitely look up that shelter, and any others that might take her in. I'd be very sad to see her go, but I have to realize that I jsut don't have time to provide what she needs to get better, and I'd much rather see her go to somebody who has the time to help her then to have to... you know. But so far I've gotten a few ideas and something's bound to work out! I appreciate the kind words. [​IMG]

8. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Amiga, it is a GREAT place. Amazing staff and wonderful support. I learned a lot from them.
    And thanks for the kind words about our situation. Am posting an update so I don't completely hijack this thread.

9. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    I don't remember where in MA the town of Norton is, but check out www.winslowfarm.com or www.maplefarmsanctuary.org in Mendon, MA. Maybe if they cannot help you they can tell you who can.
    Also, check out the MSPCA in Springfield. I don't think they do farm animals, but again, they might be able to direct you somewhere.
    If I come up with anything else, I will let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by