Help Me Find the Allergen!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Dec 1, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I don't know what else to do. I have dusted, washed, cleaned everything I can think of. I dusted 3 days ago, washed out the bedding, clothing, etc. and am still lost as to what is making me sneeze and cough.

I'm allergic to:
    Feathers (ridiculous huh? lol)
    Mold
    Peppermint

I brought my canary to the apartment more than a month ago and have kept her cage clean. There is no mold in my apartment (that I can see?) and I just cleaned every square inch of the apartment with Lysol wipes and Soft Scrub. I haven't been anywhere NEAR peppermint.

Any ideas?? I had these same issues when I had a parakeet in my room, but the canary is in the living room, not my room. Usually when I move a bird into a room other than the one I sleep in, my allergy problems stop. And how the heck does it get so that I'm allergic to pet birds, yet I can snuggle up to a chicken and a goose and not sneeze?

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    What kinda heat do you have? Is it baseboard or forced air? If forced air then allergens from one room would get easily transported to others...

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG]

We haven't turned the heat on yet. We live in an apartment complex, so...I know it's central heat and air, but that's about all I know. The vents are on the walls and ceiling, not on the floors.

Seems odd that when I open the windows, my sneezing gets less and less.

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    The canary? Maybe enough feather dust has finally built up in the place for your allergies to notice and when you open the windows it thins out. Hubby had this problem really bad in the winter when I had my cockatiel but as soon as it was warm enough to open the windows he was fine.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Allergies tend to get worse as we age. Keep that in mind. Not just worse in intencity but also in what we're allergic to.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Is there any way to tell if I'm allergic to the laundry detergent??

When I smell it, it smells SOOO good. Smells clean and refreshing. I don't seem to sneeze when it's right there in concentrated form, but what if it's what's making me sneeze? Since opening the window and putting the bird up above, haven't been sneezing as much, but that could be from some medicine.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I bet its the bird..they throw off alot of feather dander... [​IMG]

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That probably is not the culpret. That would probably make you break out if you were allergic. It may be the bird or mice or your furnice vents. When were they cleaned last. Could be left over allergins from the summer. Could be dust from you house/furniture. It could be a million or one thing/things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by