HELP ME-FIRST TIME Incubator-my 7 kids COUNTING ON CHICKS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blessedmomto7, Apr 9, 2009.

1. blessedmomto7

blessedmomto7 New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    I had 22 eggs to start with after candling down to 18 live ones. Right now is day 21-I put them in at this time of night 21 days ago.

They have been wiggling like crazy for 2 days now and no piping or chicks. Will they ever hatch? Is something wrong inside my incubator? Should I do something to check or leave them alone!

Help. I don't want to disappoint my kids-if even a couple hatch I'd be thrilled!

Advice please! Blessings to you who help!

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    They should be fine if they are wiggling and all. Maybe your temp was a little low and they will be a day or 2 late. Could your therm. have been off a bit? What is your humidity?

3. blessedmomto7

blessedmomto7 New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    I don't know about the humidity or how do check it. Its a HOVABATOR incubator. Brand new. Should I do anything more? How long will the WIGGLE before they come out? Should I keep the lid closed at all times? I'm afraid to open it.

4. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Oh ok, well most people get a thermometer from walmart that also measures humidity in the bator. It has to be higher during hatch between 50% and 70% the last 3 days. but don't open it now. can you add water through the air holes at the top?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes, keep the lid closed but if you haven't added water, you probably should... but without opening the bator... that's what the holes are for.

6. blessedmomto7

blessedmomto7 New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    It has plenty of water in it-I know that because on the instructions, I added more 3 days before to a certain canal inside. Could I have added too much? What will happen if I try to candle them or is it too late for that and I shouldn't open it at all?

7. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    no no don't open it, it sounds like you are doing great. Sometimes they are just slow, don't worry something should happen soon.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Be patient, next time, buy a couple of hygrometers. This is how we learn.

9. blessedmomto7

blessedmomto7 New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    K- I just stared at them for about 15 minutes straight and not one of them moved. Now I'm worried. I may stay up all night and watch them LOL-If I killed them, I will be very upset..

10. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Ahh a watched kettle never boils and a watched egg never pips, lol. If you know there is water in there then it was probably that the temp was low during the hatch. They are probably sleeping getting energy to hatch. Try getting some sleep and maybe in the morning you will have a bunch of pips. If not try again but get a thermometer/humidity guage at walmart it helps alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by