Help me fix a broken Silkie Toe!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennrauch, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    My 4 month old Partridge Silkie I think has a broken 4th toe. Not the main 3. I just need to know if there is some antibiotic I should be giving him. Or should I try to reset the toe, or once he is not in pain he will walk on the foot again. Since it's his thumb? Should I wrap it to keep it clean/padded. Oh i hate seeing him limp around. Plus the pecking order is being. Thanks if anyone can help!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Are you sure it's a break and not a sprain, it sure is such a little toe! Is it hot to the touch? if so i'd put some ice on it, if not it's kind of a hard area to splint, it might just irratate it. You might give him some asprin, I believe 5 crushed in a gal of water for reg asprin.check the dosage for how many mils the asprin should be, to help the pain. [​IMG]

3. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    Thanks I hope it's just sprained... pretty sure it's broke though...twisted.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ouch!! Perhaps ripping some vet wrap into tiny strips and then wrapping it to support it? [​IMG]

5. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Popsicle stick and vet wrap splint maybe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by