1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP ME!!!! (For all quail hatchers)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EggHatcherr, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Good egg (YAY)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad egg (Reply why and what I should do)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. EggHatcherr

EggHatcherr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2016
    So it's currently day 7.... No veins at all.... Just a darkish black spot in the egg... its orange-y kind of and I want to know YOUR opinions! There will soon be a picture. There will also be a survey at top, asking if it is good or bad egg. If you said bad egg, please reply why and what I should do.

2. EggHatcherr

Dec 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Hard to tell for sure, I'd say candle it again in a week. If it was perfectly clear it would be for sure not developing but because of the dark spot it is possible it's alive. I've had quail eggs I didn't see veins in on day 7 have full veins by day 14 and hatch fine.

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I didn't candle my eggs, I tossed the super light ones when I moved them out of the turner on lockdown day :)

Not saying that's what you should do, I did it that way because it's difficult to candle quail eggs and I didn't want to be messing with the temp/humidity/turning them all around/putting possible germs on them by candling them all a few times :p

5. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I agree with Lozuufy. I candle all of my eggs on day 14 before I put them in lockdown. I see no need to touch them before that time. My last hatch I set 228 eggs candled on day 14 and culled out 39 eggs of the 189 I had 177 hatch.

6. EggHatcherr

Dec 9, 2016
    thank you Lozuufy! I will candle again on day 14. Well I still got hope!
    Oh and everyone who replied, thank you all for your help!

7. remric

remric New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    If the light is somewhat blocked then there is a chick forming. It's very hard to see structures on quail egg but the most important thing to check is the air sac forming on the right place.

I think your egg is fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by