Help me get a Broody hen to Adopt Feed Store Chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KrystalRose, Feb 27, 2015.

1. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    So I need help with getting a broody to adopt 3 feed store chicks I picked up today. Here is my situation. I have 2 broody hens that have been broody full on for at least a month, maybe more. Here are the contenders:

Buff Orpington: She has already plucked out all her belly feathers. When I put her down everyday to get scratch with the other hens, she lays on the ground where I set her down and scowls at me for a couple minutes before running off.

Easter Egger: She still has feathers, but sits just as hard. When I put her down everyday to get scratch she willingly runs off to eat treats.

Both have not been mamas before and are the same age and have been broody for the same amount of time.

I have a wire dog crate to put mama/chicks in inside the main coop. Do I put both hens in there tonight and see who accepts the new location, if both do then do I put the chicks in there with both hens to see which hen seems more accepting tomorrow night? Or should I pick one broody and go with it and hope for the best? Also do I need to heat the crate at first or let mama be the sole source of heat to help with bonding?

Well you know what I have, please help me with what to do.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If I had to make a choice, I would go with the orpington. Place the chicks under her tonight in her nest site - do not move her. This will give her overnight to bond with the chicks. Midday tomorrow move her and the chicks to your selected raising area. Using this method I have never had a hen refuse foster chicks.

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    My neighbor did this. Waited for about an hour after she knew everyone had settled in and was sleeping.. Then slipped the eggs out and the chicks in (Imagine Indiana Jones) Apparently the next morning it was just as she had hatched them

Orps are known to be good mamas.. The EE would be a who-knows, depending on her lineage.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    I like the idea of not moving the hen and attempting this tonight, however the nest box she is in is a couple feet off the ground. Here is a pic of the boxes, she is in a bottom one. They do have a lip but not sure if its high enough to keep chicks in. Or should I block the opening with cardboard or something? Also should I do one chick at a time or all 3 at once?

5. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    [​IMG]

6. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Again, I'm no expert - but I would probably do all 3 at once, and put up a square of chicken wire until you could move them lower.

7. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Adoption successful! They spent the night with new mom and this morning they all met each other. After a some puzzled looks and a couple pecks, they were one happy family. Yay!

1 person likes this.
  8. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Super cute and nice to have that broody there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by