1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me get the coveted orange yolk!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heiditam, Dec 29, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    My sweet girls are laying. :) But, I cannot tell their eggs apart from my store bought pasture raised eggs...the color is a deep yellow-maybe you can say realllly light orange, but really yellow. They are a shade darker than conventional eggs but not by much...

They need to free range more, but with no leaf cover, and hawks everywhere, I am letting them out for a scant 2-3 hours. Here is what I am feeding-any advice on what else I can supplement is appreciated. I have already tried alfalfa pellets, and they HATE them.

I have 8 hens.

They have free choice to manna pro organic layer pellets.

In morning, I give them a big bowl of greens(turnip, spinach, any soft leafy greens as they shun the harder leaves of kale or collard even if cut up). About 3-4 cups.

Scratch in small amounts 2-3x a day-red lentils, boss, millet, hard red wheat.

Thanks!

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Feed them a bushel of non saleable red peppers and see what color yolks you get....[​IMG]

3. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Fresh, not dried, right? I can try that. :)

4. RonP

Yes, fresh red bell peppers...not the hot ones...

The difference was scary!! [​IMG]

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Buy a small bale of fine stem alfalfa. You can put it in the run for them to scratch and peck at or you can give them a section at a time. You can try wetting the pellets. Make a mash out of it. They are probably too large and too hard for them to eat. The carotene is what gives your yolks the orange color. Commercial feeds usually have marigold petals added.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    I can get an alfalfa bale-they are 18.99 here though! :/

I have tried soaking, mixing in yogurt and even grinding-these girls just don't love the taste-I think I am going to use the rest of the bag in my compost.

7. RonP

I mix alfalfa pellets in with their fermented feed.

I used to just toss some in their deep outdoor litter.

Both methods seem to work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by