Help me guess the gender of my Embden gosling!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CatJane0x0, Apr 7, 2012.

1. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    This little Embden fella, Golly, is just under 3 days old now. Looks like a boy to me, but I could use some help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm not sure, personally. i only have Sebastopols, and fairly new to geese. i know with the white Sebastopols, if they are darker across the saddle and head, that would be a girl. Not sure if that applies to other breeds. Metzers has a sexing video on their site: http://www.metzerfarms.com/. i have a passel of baby geese here i need to sex, but having a friend come over to help. i watched him do it once, but not feeling very confident on my own.

That sure is a cutie there, whatever the sex.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I say boy too, i have 1 Embden hatched by my muscovy and he looked like that as a gosling. if you go to Metzers website about sexing they show pics of male and female embden goslings you can get a better idea, but i say boy.

4. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Thanks for the video link on Metzers, guys -- very handy! I subscribed to their YouTube page as well. I think I DO have a boy here. :)
    He said vent checking isn't so tough compared to other birds. Guess we'll see, lol

Thanks again,

Cat Jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by