1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me help my friend's goose! Doesn't look well and has a hard time walking

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lina500, Mar 12, 2015.

1. lina500

lina500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    A friend of mine has two Chinese geese that are about a year old. We went over to see them because his geese are from the same family as our geese, so we think they are cousins. I think his are both boys. One of them doesn't look well. He has a dirty vent, mussed up feathers and is very thin compared to ours. He also has a very hard time walking and falls down onto his "knees" a lot. His joints look swollen and they said he has been like this for a while. It almost looked like arthritis.They love their geese very much have called the vet several times but there aren't any vets here with goose experience.

Sorry these photos aren't great, he was scared of me! If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could be a vitamin dif or a toxin do you know what they are feeding or if they have things laying around the goose may have nibble on and swallowed. Hardware disease. is another. Swollen joints sounds like maybe a vitamin or mineral issue. Poor thing way to young to have arthritis I would think. Look in the goose sticky there is a link to treating for toxins. Maybe a good super B complex vitamin [human grade] mixed into water or feed may help but if the gander has been this way for a while it could be too late, But dif worth trying.

3. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Thanks, @Miss Lydia (as always!) He's got them eating feed from the feed store (designed for chickens) but they do give them supplemental vitamin water. They don't feed them any fresh veg or anything like that ever, and the guys don't have anywhere to bathe. It's entirely possible the gander could have eaten something strange. Our garden is FILLED with beer pull tabs and stuff like that from the previous tenant, and no matter how often I think I've gotten them all up, I find my goose trying to eat one. So I'm sure his garden is the same.

Poor little guy. He is so skinny compared to our big lugs (pictured below), who are actually a few months younger and from the same family.

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Big difference for sure. Can you educate on toxins whether from eating something like plant or animal to metal or even plastic. and how important greens are in their diet plus bathing water. Your geese have grown into a beautiful pair . If they treat they maybe able to help even if not a toxin if they go right by the directions on the link it won't hurt to try it. Could be gout also. that causes swelling in the joints. of course all of it is just a guess. I just hate for it to die with out at least trying to help.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Thank you. I will read through this. I think the vet put him on antibiotics several times, so it's probably not a parasite. I think your guess of some sort of poisoning from eating something or hardware disease is probable. I am going to encourage them to get a bath and feed them greens, etc. They really like their geese but it made me very aware of how spoiled mine are by local standards!

Now I'm off to deal with the four ducklings I just accidentally bought.... [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Pics??[​IMG]

8. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update on your friends goose?

10. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    My friends have gotten the geese a kiddie pool and are feeding them fresh vegetables. My hunch is that your suspicion of hardware disease or something similar is probably correct. They have already tried antibiotics and have had the only qualified vet in our town out several times, so I don't think there's much more they can do at this point other than try and improve his quality of life. They said that the geese are afraid of the pool, though, and won't go in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by