Help ME I believe this to be a Female RIR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildeChicken, Jan 24, 2014.

1. WildeChicken

WildeChicken New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Bay Area
    Hello, my chicken loving people! I am embarking on a whole new journey as a "chicken mom". I believe I have picked out a RIR FEMALE. But it was only born on the 20th. I have never owned a pet chicken, only had them in yard as layers. (and even then they were mostly my fathers)

ANYWAYS I am trying to make sure that the lil chick I chose is indeed a Gal bc I am already pretty attached. And not that roosters are not awesome, But as an indoor pet... I dont think the crowing would work out well... :) Hahah Please let me know what you all think. I mean I looked online and the colors vary... and me being a novice I would rather have some "expert" advise!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Feather sexing does NOT work every time. It only works with chicks from a first-generation cross that were specifically bred to be feather-sexed, and even then only when the chicks are a day or two old. It doesn't work on older chicks.

OP, there is no way to sex your baby. It's even too old to vent-sex at this point. Sorry, you'll have to wait.

2 people like this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agreed--that feather sexing is for specific crosses. Folks don't always read the fine print [​IMG]

OP--your bird is too young to tell the gender. You'll want to be watching for a large, red comb--with this breed that'll likely be your first clue if you have a boy. Post pics again around 6 weeks and we'll have a better idea of gender, by then they're usually pretty obvious if they're male. Red boys aren't shy, as a rule!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree with all the above posts, but I just want to put in my two cents. [​IMG] Your chick isn't an RIR, but actually is a Production red. They are great layers, and since they resemble an RIR and do have that breed in their ansestry, feedstores list them as RIR's.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your chick is either a Rhode Island Red or Production red, and it is too young to accurately tell (or even guess) the gender. I would post new photos once "she" reaches about 6 weeks of age; by then, her gender should be more obvious. She's very adorable!

8. WildeChicken

WildeChicken New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Bay Area
    thank you all! I appreciate the info and feedback you all Rock! I will continue to watch her and post photos. [​IMG]

9. WildeChicken

WildeChicken New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Bay Area
    Thank you!

10. WildeChicken

WildeChicken New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Bay Area
    Thank you so much that helps!! Bc if that is true, her being a PR. She is a mix of RIR and production Red... IF we have the rooster breed correct.. As I look as photos I dunno if he is now... Ill post a photo of I'm soon too. I am eager to see what she turns out to really be :) (gender wise)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by