Help me! I can't catch my hen!

ThelmaOrLouise

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 27, 2015
SC
So I posted a few days ago about my first bumblefoot experience. Now I need to change the dressing and I can't catch her. When I go in the coop she flies around like a maniac. I tried to get her to come in my laundry room with corn. I tried throwing a towel over her. I've given up for the moment because she got freaked out. My husband caught her the first time but I need to be able to do it for the many dressing changes she will need. She starts flapping and I can't help but close my eyes. I need some tips y'all... Haha I'm sure it is a ridiculous sight to see!

Can you wait until after dark when she has gone to bed for the evening? I always wait until mine are on their roost to do anything to them that would require me having to chase them down. It makes for such a peaceful procedure whatever it is I have to do to them. I get it done and just put them right back.

If i were in your situation, and it was possible for me to do so, I would just try to plan on doing her dressing changes after dark. It might save you some sanity lol. Just remember to grab you a flashlight tho! If that doesnt work for you, maybe you could try to put her in a cage or carrier by herself where its easier for you to catch her just until she gets healed up a little better. If you dont have one, maybe you can borrow one from family or friends? Or maybe even a vets office would loan you one?

Hope maybe that helps some! Sorry I dont have more suggestions!

I was going to get her from her roost last night and my husband thought it would be mean to snatch her during her sleep. haha. I think trying to catch her as she flies around is more traumatizing.

I was going to get her from her roost last night and my husband thought it would be mean to snatch her during her sleep. haha. I think trying to catch her as she flies around is more traumatizing.
I totally agree with you haha!! Because believe me, she will go right back to sleep once you get done with her, and hopefully by morning she will have forgotten all about it lol. I like doing things in the dark not only because the chickens are easier to deal with (not just easier to catch, but they seem to be much more relaxed, and accept their "fate" much easier) but they can't see worth a poop in the dark and they never see me coming, I figure if they cant really see me maybe they wont associate me with whatever awful things I had to do to them lol. There may be no real truth to that, but it at least makes me feel better. They certainly know that I have yummy things to eat, surely they would remember that I did something they didnt like as well!

Try that tonight, hopefully you will have a much better time!! Good luck!!

Night is the best time in my opinion. Use a headlamp if you have one so both hands are free.
I use mechanic work gloves when I handle mine at night because it's a better grip plus if I get pecked in the process it wont hurt! I have a box that's right beside me to stuff the patient into and close the flaps. It's my portable chicken ambulance lol.

I'm getting better!

Back
Top Bottom