Help me! I can't get the humidity up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyanLuv, Dec 10, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    Alright, I have added a humidifier to the room and I can not get the humidity in the LG bator above 33%. Will this work? my temp ranges from 100.9 - 101.5 Is it save to put a dish in the bottom of the incubator to put more water in to get the humidity up? I have also set dishes on the outside of the bator with water in it in hopes to gradually get it up. But it has been 4 hours since adding these things and the humidity has only gone up 1%. I have one plug out (which I was advised to do per that article on dry hatching) and when I do that obviously the humidity goes down. Ugh, any other suggestions? Ideas to try? I have not put my eggs in yet, but they NEED to get in there today. Thanks everyone!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

go ahead and set the eggs in the bator...it won't hurt them.

To add humidity, I put a small saucer in the bottom and put HOT papertowels in it with hot water...the heat(steam) will get the humidity up fast. heavy duty COTTON based papertowels work better that cotton socks rolled up, but use what you can get. .(.ok they all are cotton based but some are more THIRSTY than others. ) If you are concerned put the plug back in till the humidity gets up there.

Mine stayed at 40 most of the incubation process and I upped the humidity the last 3 days.

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If I was you, I would take the hygrometer and throw it across the room, add water to the tray in the bottom, put the plug in, and add your eggs. Looks like the temp is fine. you are good to go.

4. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I took sponges and cut them to fit in the wells on the bottom, then wet one, and when it needed more i'd wet another one. that got the hum up easily.

5. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    can I stick a couple sponges on the wire next to them or does it have to be below them?

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Are you just now getting ready to set the eggs for incubation? If so then 30% humidity is fine. If you are getting ready to hatch them off then it's another story. Don't worry too much, it'll be fine [​IMG]
    If getting ready to hatch, then put a sponge in a sacucer with hot water and sit in on the screen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by