1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me! I just can't figure these chicks out...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambrosia, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I thought I had it all figured out. All the ones with bright waddles are boys, right? Well, apparently not. I saw way too many pictures of pullets with bright red waddles to be certain...

So, before they all end up in freezer camp, I thought I would use the expertise of my fellow BYCers to determine whether or not they are going to cocka-doodle-do on me in the future....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are all 6.5 weeks old...

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    At that age, all but the last are boys. Can you get a better photo of the last one?

3. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Oh, that would suck for the OP!

4. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    I hope it isn't so!!! I will try to get an updated photo of the last one...

I looked on a thread from here from last year that showed chicks that looked just like boys but turned out to be girls... I am truly hoping that is the case with mine as well! Out of 10, it appears to be 8 boys... yikes.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    exactly how old are they? There does seem to be an awful lot of boys in the group...

6. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I'd have to agree with Ambrosia. They all look like roos except #6. BUT the first one, and the third one, are questionable to me because of the color of the comb on the first, and the size of the comb on the third, maybe it's just the lighting in the pic. Can you get a better pic of those two? And they are, Golden Laced Wyandottes, right?

7. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    They are GLW crosses... 7 weeks old tomorrow. And just to clarify, ALL of them have pink waddles. Not one in the bunch has a flesh colored or pale waddle. My orps do, so they are easy to spot boy from girl. It is so confusing with the single combs and the peacombs...! I will try to take more pictures of them today, but to be honest, I am worried that I will have to wait until saddle feathers come in, or they crow to know for sure!

8. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

...caught them napping... so here's most of them. mixed in with some BO...

[​IMG]
    one that preferred to roost...

[​IMG]

It appears to me that there are 8 boys out of the ten GLW.. tell me I am wrong!!!

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I'd give it a few more weeks. I've been surprised more than once when a chick with large comb and wattle ends up being a pullet instead of a roo. Now I basically just wait until I see saddle feather before I feel certain I have a roo.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think I can see 3 girls in the photo of them resting with the BO's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by