Help me i Need a good Idea

Mrsroeder2012

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 8, 2012
Jamestown,Ky
My Coop
My Coop
i am wanting to free range my chickens and i have 15 of them and i just want to know the tips and tricks to this, so when i let them out they wont run off and they will go back to my coop

First make sure that they have been in the coop and run long enough to consider it home. Then at first just let them out maybe an hour before dark.At first they may not all come out but the braver ones will and it won't be long before the others follow, and then its just a matter of watching them to see if they all go back in.When you first let them out don't be suprised if one or two of them get confused and can't find the door, it seems like every time I let a new group of chicks out there is always one that can't find the door and ends up running back and forth along side of the run.Just gently herd them back to the door and they will go in.As your flock gets better at going to bed by themselves you can increase the time you let them free range.
The only problem that might come up is the could start laying in the yard if their out all day,I don,t let my girls out till after noon when most have already layed.

OK thank you i will try that the reason why I'm doing this is they have been in their area for a while now and there is nothing for them to do so i tho letting them free range would okapi them, i just didnt know how, i have read alot of ideas but i didnt know witch would be better but again thank you and ill try that

Back
Top Bottom