Help me! i need to know what to do with this silkie boy!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morgan's_Silkie_Parade, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    im trying to decided to sell him, or keep him for breeding, (will show other "Possible" Roo.)
    he has a crooked middle toe, and his "Pinkies" are clubbed like, and he has a lil 6th toe NAIL.
    but are those baby shell incubator defects? or genetics? (besides the 6th toenail)
    and how is his build how does he look in general.
    Thanks guys [​IMG]
    Oh what do you think of the Other possible roo? hows he look.
    Both wings hang i know....
    he is usually a lil bit fluffier, but i gave him a bath and i dont think his feathers are completely dry yet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Other Poss. one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Again [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I would not breed a roo with feet like that, plus he has hard feathers in his tail. Type is not as good as the second roo. Cull him and use roo #2. JMO. [​IMG]

3. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh, I forgot to ask, what would you guys ask for him?... i have NO clue... he is better then the ones i sold for 5-10 dollars, and I think thats a lil low, but that JMO...
    Could you guys throw out a few numbers for me too? that would be GREAT thanks
    [​IMG]
    OH!!! and do you guys think the second one IS a roo? he hasnt crowed or ANYTHING, and im beginning to get worried that he isnt.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Roo #2 looks WAY better. #1 has a very long back plus the hard tail feathers and the bad feet, make it a no brainer.

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Morgan's_Silkie_Parade :

Oh, I forgot to ask, what would you guys ask for him?... i have NO clue... he is better then the ones i sold for 5-10 dollars, and I think thats a lil low, but that JMO...
    [​IMG]
    OH!!! and do you guys think the second one IS a roo? he hasnt crowed or ANYTHING, and im beginning to get worried that he isnt.

It depends on your local market. I couldn't get more than 5 or 10 dollars for him here.​

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm going to touch on the feet issue only. Feet are easy to fix if paired up with a bird with really good feet.

Because I am who I am I have to test something when I've been told no. Fixing stubby, poorly divided toes is pretty easy. Actually it can be done in one breeding, I've done it.

That being said I also tested duck foot. Let's just say I won't do that one again.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade :

It is hard to get rid of roosters here. I give away my rooster culls. At least I save by not having to feed them anymore .... that is profit, to me. Good luck.​

8. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    idk if you live near ohio border i doubt you will get much for him i just went to an auction in mt.hope with same quality chickens(with good feet) going for $2-$3. but ohio has alot of farmers and amish that dont buy bantys lol my faverite was how they had breeding age peacocks and hens going for $60-$80 if i was going to be around to take care of them i woulda snatched 1 up for that price.

9. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    First thing I would do is trim everyone's toenails.....trimmed nails are just something I'm picky about.

I'd definitely keep roo #2 for the breeding pen.

Unless it's an outstanding, show winning roo or a roo of a rare color you never get much money for them. I've actually given away roo's just so I wouldn't have to feed them or deal with them anymore, even though they had no DQ's

10. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Yep, a lot of mine has trimmed nails already, i just havent gotten to a few of em, they came to me ALLL at once lol

Ok guys thanks.
    i think im gonna try to get him a new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by