Help Me ID Hatchery Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mississippifarmboy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

We ordered 100 hatchery suprise chicks and I've got four I can't figure out. One is a hen I'm gonna keep anyway and three are like the one in the pictures. They are four weeks old today, still feathering out. These are about 1/2 the size of the other chicks of our known breeds the same age, and are bit more shy and flighty than the others. All have slate gray legs with white on the bottoms of the feet. The one pictured has a silvery cape coming in, the other two are identical except not as much silver on the neck. All three seem to have long beaks for the size, but that might just be me. The order was suposed to be all standard chicks, so I don't think they are bantams, just a smaller breed.
    The order had both silver and gold laced Wyndottes, sex links, Production reds, one Cochin, several California whites, several other breeds. Ordered from Ideal if that helps. I've looked at all the chick pictures that I could find online and the only thing that looked close were silver pheonix and silver duckwing old English, but I've never raised either breed or anything else that looked like these. They are very pretty though, I might keep them if I was sure what they were.
    Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Looks like a silver campine that I raised once, but I only ever had the one, so I am not the best judge.

She turned out to be one of our favorite birds tho, even tho she started out real flighty too! One day she just turned sweet!

Good Luck!

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree with everything that you are saying 100 percent but will add one more thing. I think it is a Silver Campine and they are beautiful birds....especially the roos and I think that is what you have in your hand.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Thanks, I didn't even think of a Campine!

and for the record, the hands in the pictures belong to my bratty little 10 year old daughter. I just ain't got in the habit of painting my fingernails. Much less such mixed-up garrish colors. [​IMG] She has to "Go look at the critters" with me every evening when she gets off the school bus. Sort of a Daddy / Daughter thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by