help me id my FFA chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom wewantchicks!, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    the high school was having a poultry auction and we just had to go look. so i bought these 3 mixed breeds the hatched,supposed to be EE mixes. any idea of what kinds they are,or if i got lucky and got pullets
    [​IMG]
    all three
    [​IMG]
    this is the one,after i got it home, i was worried may be a roo
    [​IMG]
    a little better face pic
    [​IMG]
    another pic of all three,they were a little scared when the first got here

2. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i forgot to say,the are around 3 weeks old and supposed to be EE mixes

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Uber cute chicks [​IMG]
    Looks like pullets except for the middle picture looks like a cockerel to me. I believe he is also the one in the bottom left hand corner of the last picture.

4. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    it was really crazy in there, i didnt even try to bid on anything else. when these guys came up i thought they looked cute. anyway when i went to pick the ones i wanted there were some definate roos in there, bigger,redder combs. when i got home i started thinking,oh this one looks like a roo. im going to keep my fingers crossed,i have 2 BA hens that everyone swore where roos lol

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Yeah, I believe the middle one is a roo.

That's a perfect combination!

You could have one hen laying eggs for you to eat and the other one brooding some chickies!

That would be so cute.

6. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Oh I would be in trouble if there was a poultry action at my kids school, LOL. I would bring home too many.

7. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    Quote:oh belive me it was tempting lol. but the fact that it was for the school made everone bid really high. i paid 4 bucks apiece for these guys and i think that was about some of the cheapest birds,well and my hubby bought 5 meaties for 10 bucks. one lady paid 57 bucks for a polish chick. at least the kids made some money.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It was a good cause and you got some pretty little mutts!!

I'd say the one you suspect is a roo, is correct... but it's still a little too early to tell.

9. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    mom,wewantchicks! :

Quote:oh belive me it was tempting lol. but the fact that it was for the school made everone bid really high. i paid 4 bucks apiece for these guys and i think that was about some of the cheapest birds,well and my hubby bought 5 meaties for 10 bucks. one lady paid 57 bucks for a polish chick. at least the kids made some money.

Oh wow, you guys over in America get them cheap!

Over here there are prices ranging from $5 to $20 for a measly production red. Got mine for $7.50​

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  10. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv

Oh wow, you guys over in America get them cheap!

Over here there are prices ranging from $5 to $20 for a measly production red. Got mine for $7.50

well this is only my second year with chicks lol,so i dont really know what good prices are. i have seen laying hens for anywhere from 10-15 bucks. but i bought some pullets at the feed store for 2.50

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by