Help me ID some ducks? (lots of photos)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fraoch21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I keep a really mixed flock and i was hoping someone on here could help me with these ducks-what they are or if they fit breed standards.

I bought this pair accidently at an auction and they were sold as 'pascony ducks' but I've never heard of this breed?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a bali runner i bought last year and i thought she was a cross colour but i stumbled across a picture of 'rare lavender bali runners' and she looks like them, could this be what she is?
    [​IMG]

I bought this pair of blue bibbed call ducks this year. I think they have too much white to fit breed standards but will the offspring have even more white or less?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, I hatched white campbells recently and they have very pale pink beaks, will the beak colour change or is it supposed to be this colour?
    [​IMG]

Sorry for so many questions, im new to trying to breed pure breds [​IMG] Breed standards might be different from the uk and the us, im not sure.

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I made notes next to your pics.....

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Great pictures, those pale bills are a real looker. The calls may or may not pass along more white, bibs are a weird item. Their color is very pretty though.

If the flock is allowed to run together all of the time you will have cross breeding going on. The call duck female can be injured by the large drakes in the flock if you dont separate her and the drake from the others.

4. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    The pale beaks are very pretty, quite ghostly! It will be interesting to see what comes from breeding them and the calls. During spring/summer i seperate the ducks into breeding pens so they normally only run together during autumn/winter time :)
    Marty, I have saxonys already and this pair look quite different, could they be a cross?
    Are lavender bali runners rare since the picture i found said they were or just average?
    Im afraid im in scotland so hatching eggs would be quite difficult to get over seas [​IMG]

Thank you for the replies!

5. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The first two photos look Welsh Harlequin to me, one looks like a buff hybrid in the first photo. The last photo looks like a saxony female in the background. Perhaps the pale ones in the front are an Ayelsbury mix?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    So theres a few mixed answers on my 'pasconys' so ill breed them in the spring to see if that gives me a deffinate answer, same goes for the pale white campbells :)

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    the last picture with the pale billed ducks looks to have a saxony in the background. I dont think the first is silver appleyards, maybe a Welsh harlequin since they share similar looks to the SA

9. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Yeah the saxony sneaked in, she wasnt meant to be there :p they must be silver appleyards, you cant see it in the picture but the female has a white ring around her neck as well

except ive just noticed in the female, the beak colour 's wrong, she has an orange pinkish beak and WH have dark beaks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I couldn't find anything about 'pascony' ducks, perhaps he meant Saxony?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by