Help me ID these Marans

leslea

Songster
6 Years
Jan 13, 2014
Southern Indiana
They're both supposed to be female. What kind of Marans do you think they are? They came from MyPetChicken.

They are supposed to be from this list:

Black Copper Marans (chocolate eggers)
White Marans (medium brown eggs)
Golden Cuckoo Marans (medium to dark brown eggs)
Blue Splash Marans (light brown eggs with dark speckles)
Blue Copper Marans (medium brown eggs)

Thanks in advance!

The first one is probably a Black Copper Marans. The second chick is probably a White Marans. It can be hard to tell color with young chicks, though.

Second chick is a Splash Marans....yellow with grey smudges = splash or a blue color

Top *might* be a Blue Copper...hard to tell in photo...doesn't look quite as dark as a BCM but it may be the lighting. Blue Copper chicks are simply a lighter grey as chicks rather than a dark black. BCM's are dark black as chicks.

To see photos of my BCM, see the broody hatch below far right.

LofMc

Last edited:
Your first chick appears to be a Golden Cuckoo Marans and appears to have the female down color!
Your second chick is a White Marans if it doesn't have grey smudges if it does have grey smudges it is Blue Splash Marans
Great breed choice I LOVE my Golden Cuckoo Marans roo!

The first one is probably a Black Copper Marans. The second chick is probably a White Marans. It can be hard to tell color with young chicks, though.

Second chick is a Splash Marans....yellow with grey smudges = splash or a blue color

Top *might* be a Blue Copper...hard to tell in photo...doesn't look quite as dark as a BCM but it may be the lighting. Blue Copper chicks are simply a lighter grey as chicks rather than a dark black. BCM's are dark black as chicks.

To see photos of my BCM, see the broody hatch below far right.

LofMc

Your first chick appears to be a Golden Cuckoo Marans and appears to have the female down color!
Your second chick is a White Marans if it doesn't have grey smudges if it does have grey smudges it is Blue Splash Marans
Great breed choice I LOVE my Golden Cuckoo Marans roo!

Thanks for weighing in, all. They are both supposed to be female, so...fingers crossed.

I am leaning toward Black Copper from the photos I've seen, but I go back and forth between that and Blue Copper. She's a lot darker on the top/back than she looks from the front.

I will be happy either way, naturally...Packer's Choice is fun to puzzle out.

Definitely feel like the yellow one is the blue splash. She's got those grey streaks.

Thanks for chiming in about the breed, too. I have never heard a bad word about a Marans, so I thought we'd give them a try!

Back
Top Bottom