Help me identify breeds!

amykbennett

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Our broody hen hatched these sweet chickies almost 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out what breeds they are. We have a decent mix in our flock right now - in our flock of hens we have 3 Delawares, 2 Wynadottes (1 buff laced and 1 blue), 3 Easter Eggers and 2 black of some variety (they're shiny and black - probably some mix of Ee and Astralorp maybe). And we have 2 roosters - a Rhode Island Red and an Easter Egger. So we have a bunch of possible options for these new babies.

I'm figuring the darker chick is an Easter Egger (and I feel like I saw somewhere on here that this coloring pattern only happens in hens?). But I can't figure out for the life of me what the other one is...

Would love help figuring it out! TIA!

Attachments

• 20210504_191609.jpg
    20210504_191609.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210504_191833.jpg
    20210504_191833.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210504_191837.jpg
    20210504_191837.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210504_191908.jpg
    20210504_191908.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210504_191919.jpg
    20210504_191919.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 12
Our broody hen hatched these sweet chickies almost 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out what breeds they are. We have a decent mix in our flock right now - in our flock of hens we have 3 Delawares, 2 Wynadottes (1 buff laced and 1 blue), 3 Easter Eggers and 2 black of some variety (they're shiny and black - probably some mix of Ee and Astralorp maybe). And we have 2 roosters - a Rhode Island Red and an Easter Egger. So we have a bunch of possible options for these new babies.

I'm figuring the darker chick is an Easter Egger (and I feel like I saw somewhere on here that this coloring pattern only happens in hens?). But I can't figure out for the life of me what the other one is...

Well the white one is certainly pretty! I don't know hwat it is!

They are the way too young to be determined I would wait until they are fully feathered!:D:D

Ok thanks! I knew it was too young to determine gender for quite a while (our first batch of chickens had us guessing up until the first eggs were laid ha), but I had thought even this young we might be able to get an idea of breed.
Breed, especially with mixes, is actually best determined later. By that I mean later than when gender usually becomes obvious. This is because adult feathering, body shape/size, tail shape/angle, earlobe color, and egg color are all things that make IDing the breed a lot easier. However, many times it is possible to guess at breed even as chicks, but that’s certainly not always the case (and people are more likely to be wrong in those instances).

Back
Top Bottom