Help me identify her?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chikky, Sep 28, 2010.

1. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I picked her up at a swap meet. Very agile and good flyer! Can anyone help me figure out what breed Doris is?

[​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Any chance you could get a picture of her from the side? How small is she? it might be a call, But I'm not quite sure from this angle.

3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    [​IMG]

How's this one? (I sadly lack picture-taking skills.....)

She's just a little larger (longer neck, more flexible) than the whites. I see pics of BEIs and Cayaugas and not sure if she's one of those or some kind of mix, or ???

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Ya i would say she is a breed of call or mix, cayugas are much larger, but I am really uneducated on the different types of calls. sorry, hopefully someone can tell you specifically what you type call you have.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Definetly some type of Call...Cayugas are like 6 1/2 pounds and are flightless like all other Mallard-Derivatives

ETA: Very pretty little ducky [​IMG]

6. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    If its small like a Call duck, its definitely a Black East Indie!
    She looks like our girlies!

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Question, I know cayugas can sometimes get white feathers after molting but do the east indies do this to? (I ask this because of the white chest feathers)

8. dot n'dave

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Quote:oh for sure!
    Two of ours have a white spot on their chest. And they're only 9 mths old.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    See that confuses the heck out of me, because every cayuga or black duck i've came across has a one or two/or more white feathers on it and i guess the east indies do to, but when it comes to showing them it is a disqualification if they have a white feather on them. What's up with that?

10. dot n'dave

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Show winning BEIs will have no white feathers showing, but if a duck has one or two small white feathers they are allowed to be plucked, but your not allowed to pluck large tail or wing feathers. If I remember right, females will more likely to have white, and if you have a male with white you shouldn't breed it. Also if your really curious, look up pictures of way older BEIs, they're almost totally a different color!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by