Help me identify my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FyshWyfe, Feb 17, 2011.

1. FyshWyfe

FyshWyfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Our shipment from Ideal came today. They look great (as well they should considering the hatchery is only about 5 hours away from us and weather is awesome right now). Here's what I ordered (all pullets):
    3 White Leghorn
    3 RIR
    3 Americauna
    2 Silver Speckled Hamburg
    They threw in 6 males for warmth.
    It's easy to spot the SSH because they're tiny and spotted, but I'm having trouble making sense of the rest of them.
    I made the pics big on purpose so you can see them...hope they're not TOO big.
    Here's the whole group:
    [​IMG]
    There are 6 of these. Are these my roos?
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how light the RIRs can be. I'm thinking this shot has 3 white leghorns and one champagne-y RIR (in the middle of the shot), along with 2 Americaunas. WDYT?
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Your "champagne-y" chick is an EE. See her cute little muff? [​IMG]

Your White Leghorns are the three very white chicks in pic three.

Stripey chick farthest to the right in pic three is an EE too. Your third EE is the yellowish chick top left corner on pic one.

The red chick with the brown stripes is a RIR, along with the other two red chicks.

Your six packing peanuts are for sure not Barred Rocks or Black Sexlinks, if that helps. Possible breeds include Black Australorp, Black Minorca, and Black Jersey Giant.

I'm planning to order from Ideal this spring for the first time. How was your experience with them? [​IMG]

3. FyshWyfe

FyshWyfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you so much!
    They look really good. I got them within 24 hours of shipping out, and although I just got them this morning, so far so good.
    ETA: I don't know how many you're planning on ordering, but we only ordered 11 and had to pay $11 extra for having a small order. I found that a little much, but I have zero experience ordering from hatcheries, so what do I know?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm planning to order...
    10 Barred Rock pullets
    4 Barred Rock cockerels

So 14 chicks total. [​IMG] They'll be coming in April. I wonder if they'll send packing peanuts? [​IMG]

Ideal charges $1 per breed/gender, and $7 for every order totaling fewer than 100 chicks. Their chick pricing is very reasonable, and my zip code gets free shipping. Plus I love the fact that they don't have a 25 chick minimum. But the main reason I'm ordering from them is because I hear that they have an excellent production strain of BRs. I've always ordered from McMurray in the past, but their BRs are horrible layers, and mean to my other hens. I really love BRs, one main reason being I have fond memories of me "helping" Grandma care for her flock of BR hens. Filling their feeder, their waterer, and collecting the warm brown eggs... [​IMG] I also love how they're the classic farm chicken.

But anyway, I just placed an order yesterday to McMurray for RIRs and WLs. They have an awesome production strain of RIRs, and I've heard that they have some really good WLs too, so I'll be trying them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by