Help Me Identify Silkie Chick Sexes!

AthamGI

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
EDIT: Can someone move this to Breeds? I messed up the placement...

I just bought five silkie chicks from a friend. They are a mixed bunch, from Murray McMurray, probably splash, white, gray, and black. Also added in the mix were two chicks who had trouble walking. They couldn't rehabilitate them, and so I took them. I need help identifying their sexes. I picked the ones who looked most like hens...

They are all 1 1/2 months old.

DSCF4449.JPG

The White/Splash Silkie
DSCF4450.JPG

DSCF4451.JPG

I took a second look at him/her, and I'm inclined to think this might actually be a cockeral.

Blue/Gray
DSCF4452.JPG

DSCF4453.JPG

I most certain that this one is a pullet.

This one is loud...haha Gray Silkie
DSCF4454.JPG

DSCF4455.JPG

Gray/Splash Silkie?
DSCF4456.JPG

DSCF4457.JPG

Partridge? Crippled, same age as the others, but ten times smaller...
DSCF4460.JPG

DSCF4461.JPG

Black Silkie
DSCF4458.JPG

DSCF4459.JPG

Black, Crippled, no head tuft. Possibly a mutt...

DSCF4462.JPG

DSCF4463.JPG

Any help would be appreciated! I'm just hoping I don't have all-cockeral.

Last edited:
I'm completely unsure. I was told my 2 may be a hen and cock. However, I do not see the difference. I did find good advice here, I'm sure someone is much better at calling it!

They're all pure silkies, they're just pq. the colors look like blue, black, splash, and the "partridge" looks more like a grey, but without seeing the bird's body, it'll be too hard to tell for sure.

The splash looks like a cockerel

The next two blues look like pullets

The third blue looks like a cockerel

The grey may be a cockerel

The first black may be a pullet

The second black is a cockerel

Silkies in particular are usually very hard to sex at a young age. You need to give it more time to be positive, sometimes up around 7 months. Post more pics in a month or so
smile.png

I have silkies and in my experiences, these little ones are too young to try and guess. I usually can not be sure of mine until around 4 months of age. They are cuties though!

Last edited:
Thanks very much! You'll be hearing from these guys in a month or two!

Back
Top Bottom