1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me identify the color pattern of my cockerel (pictures included).

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pkw, Dec 26, 2010.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I need help identifying my cockerel. He is a mix breed. At the time I had a blue red laced wyandotte roo , a white orpington roo and also a columbian wyandotte roo. My hens were black australorp, columbian wyandotte, delaware, new hampshire, white orpington, partridge rock, turken, blue laced red wyandotte and a production red.

[​IMG]

Here is some pictures of some other cockerels (and one pullet):

[​IMG]

I don't need help with sexing them because I already know the cockerels from the pullets. More or less I am wondering if the color pattern is barred or what? The cockerels have tan heads and are a little lighter than the pullets (the pullets are little darker and doesn't have the tan color on their heads).

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They do look partially barred. I'm not good at the gene combinations, but maybe Delaware in them since Delaware's have barring?

Hopefully Illia, Sonoran Silkies or some of the other genetics guru's will see this.

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    From that combination of birds, any offspring with barring would have come from the Delaware hen, and they would all be cockerels, regardless of the rooster that fathered them. *UNLESS* the white of the orp rooster was masking the barring gene - in which case, any barred offspring could be either sex, regardless of who the mother was.

4. pkw

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Thanks for your replies.

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I think father is your White Orpington and mother can be Production Red,Partrige Rock or New Hampshire.I think the Orpington roo hide barring behind the rececive white.There is no way Delawere will produce golden neck son.Barring of your babies is not from Delawere.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Interesting.........thanks ve!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like a cuckoo chick (partial barring) with a lot of gold leakage.

The White Orpington is definitely the one carrying the barred gene, and this is the 3rd time I've heard of a White Orp passing on barring.

The other parent is likely a New Hampshire or Production Red.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Crele or Golden Cuckoo

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Crele is a barred duckwing, and thus requires colored secondary feathers. [​IMG]

Golden Cuckoo requires crowwing/brown-red coloring, which neither parent choices have.

10. pkw

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Quote:Okay. So I also have some white orpington chicks from this same roo. Does that mean that when the white orp chicks would have the barring gene also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by