Help me identify these two (supposed to be marans)

3qkate

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
I bought two little ones that are supposed to be Marans- they are supposed to both be pullets and the same age (hatched March 20th, so 7 weeks). The person who sold them to me said that the bigger one is a mix between dominique and black copper and that the smaller one is a pure bred black copper maran. Any thoughts? Doesn't seem right to me! They are similarly feathered but very different sizes. The one that is supposed to be a mix is nearly pure black, the one that is supposed to be pure bred has a lot of white, including on the feet. I don't know what is typical. Our BCMs in the past were all roosters, and were very apparent at this age. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Attachments

• both.png
    both.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 27
  • little.png
    little.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
  • big.png
    big.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
I bought two little ones that are supposed to be Marans- they are supposed to both be pullets and the same age (hatched March 20th, so 7 weeks). The person who sold them to me said that the bigger one is a mix between dominique and black copper and that the smaller one is a pure bred black copper maran. Any thoughts? Doesn't seem right to me! They are similarly feathered but very different sizes. The one that is supposed to be a mix is nearly pure black, the one that is supposed to be pure bred has a lot of white, including on the feet. I don't know what is typical. Our BCMs in the past were all roosters, and were very apparent at this age. I'm curious to hear what others think.
both look like pullets, can't help you on breed

The white on the wings will molt out with age, totally normal. They seem to be the breeds they were sold as, not sure why one is so much smaller though? If it was a Dominque hen and Black Copper Rooster, only cockerels would be barred, so this chick would be a possibility from the cross. Both look to be pullets

Back
Top Bottom