1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me identify this chick and injury

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovelyChickies, Apr 28, 2017.

1. LovelyChickies

LovelyChickies New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Hello. I am very new to the community, and have never had a chicken in my life. My mother purchased 3 chicks, a Rhode island red, an americauna (?), and an unidentified bantam.
    They are an chicken starter, and are in a large glass aquarium with a red heat lamp. They are all eating and drinking spectacularly.

I need help identifying the bantam chick, and the approximate age (they claim she was a week and three days, but she is just tiny beyond belief).
    The bantam chick has a small wound directly above her tail, and I was wondering if any of you had any advice on how to treat it?

Here is my little dove:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Olivia07

Olivia07 New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Well this chick has feathers already so I would say that the age approximation is right if not pretty close. She may be a little older. As for the wound, I don't think its to much to worry about. Just clean it out every night or so and put a little vaseline on it to free it from germs.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would clean up her injury with saline solution, pat dry and put Blu Kote on it, to help heal and hopefully keep the others from pecking at it. Chickens see blood/red and go nuts.

4. LovelyChickies

LovelyChickies New Egg

Apr 28, 2017

Thanks for the advice:) Any ideas on what kind of bantam she could be?

5. fallan1963

fallan1963 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Michigan
    I am new also. I just got my first chicks. They are banms. I am hoping I got lucky and got a male and female. They are I guess considered golden lace banam. Lol they are always testing each other's donation. Once I thought about interveneing but I didn't. I'm wanting to maybe getting them in show when they are older.but I agree with drumsticks app

6. fallan1963

fallan1963 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Michigan
    Chicks show ageshen at a early age. The other chicks my be showing there domanet over the chick because of its size. They will pick it and if it gets a sore they will keep picking at the sore makeing it worst. I'd keep it separate from the other chicks till it gets older.or just get another banam and rase them together. After they get bigger introduce them to the flock. And watch them. Right off the back.The more dominant birds will try to fight with them. Just let it go.They will work out a pecking order. But I garintee the banam will hold its own.

7. LovelyChickies

LovelyChickies New Egg

Apr 28, 2017

I got her on the same day as all the others, and they get along so well. They don't even peck each other (yet) I've done my research, and I think that it would be best to keep them together and not intervene.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by