Help me identify this chick(pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooster61, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rooster61

Rooster61 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    6 days ago we got our chicks at TSC, the 4 Reds came out of the bin labeled "Red Pullets" But since their feathers have been coming in I have noticed the one in the foreground has white wing feathersand more white around her face while they 3 others have dark lines through their feathers.
    They are all so cute it doesn't matter just wondering if I got something other then a production red. I am even thinking the one with white feathers may be a roo since he(sometimes) sleeps out way from all the other chicks when their sleeping and usually the first to come to the plate when I put treats in for them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I love picture 2 I think that it just might be a different mix. I know that red pullets can mean red six link New Hampshire, they also have so many different types of red sex link I think they use different breeds to get them since I have seen red sex link with white tipped wings and tails but my red sex link has black tail feathers. I can't tell if its a hen or rooster. But you do have some really cute chicks.

3. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, we have named her Goldilocks, and the one looking at her is named Red...no names for the others as of yet until we see some more traits they pick up as we move along.

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Here is one of my red sex links... she is very unusual compared to the others I have. She is mostly white with some red... she is also the sweetest chicken I have ever owned. She will actually jump at the pen door to get me to open it so she can come take a nap in my lap... her name is Ruthie [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    She's adorable!!! I take it she still lays large brown eggs?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They are so adorable!

7. britlitgal

britlitgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Poland, Ohio
    They look just like the 2 Golden Comet (Buff) pullets that I got at TSC a few days ago. Just sayin' ... [​IMG]

8. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Well, they only had 2 different bins with chicks...one marked Red Pullets, and the other Assorted Bantams and the one is the only one with white wings. I guess time will tell [​IMG]

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:She's only 8 wks old but she should. I have 6 Red Star hens in the big coops that lay beautiful big brown eggs...and my recent order I added another four... of which Ruthie is one. I also ordered some Black Stars

10. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I'm glad to see that the red sex links can have white feathers on the hens. We have 4 red star chicks that are only a week old, but their wing feathers are so white! I had always thought the red star hens were red and the roos were white and got a little scared there was a mix up. Maybe the coloring will change as they feather out more or maybe they'll just look like that beautiful photo of your hen! So pretty! We got our 4 from My Pet Chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by