Help me identify this chicken (Updated with picture)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marie_martin, Sep 13, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have not scanned the picture in yet, but maybe you can help me. He is a roo that belongs to a friend. He is almost rumpless, is white with black splotches on him and mostly black in what little bit of tail he has. He has what looks like tiny tufts but not really. He has a regular comb and red wattles and slate blue legs. He is much smaller than her hens who are RIR and Astrolorpe, etc. Any suggestions? I will try to get the picture up later. I am thinking ameraucana mix? If that is true, would he produce colored eggs if he breeds with a hen that does not? Or does the hen determine the color. My friend says he cant reach to breed them but he tries. Are there any other chickens who are basically rumpless? Thanks for any suggestions.

Marie

Updated! Here is the picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Araucana would be my guess (no tail and slate colored legs). But pure Ameraucanas have slate colored legs too. The hen chooses the color and the sex of the chick. Males don't win out on this one.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Deosn't he have to have puffy cheeks & ears to be an Aracauna?

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Very true wegotchickens. Forgot to look at that. See maybe this is why I don't answer specific questions about breeds. Good call.

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That is why I am thinking an ameraucana mix? But not sure with what? Any ideas?

Marie

6. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    May be a Araucana/Delaware cross. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like a cross and I think one may be the aracuana.

8. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    it would have to be crossed with some type of bantam because he is pretty small. About the size of a silkie.

Marie

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If its an araucana cross, its cross with a white earlobed bird.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    This bird looks nothing like an araucana at all. Foks, araucana do not have slate legs or puffy cheeks. And they are peacombed.

This bird has a large straight comb and it also doesn't appear rumpless, but looks like the tail feather fell out or are missing (maybe in a molt). Not sure on the breed, but I would not consider Araucana, Ameraucana or Easter Egger at this point. Hopefully you'll get some more opinions that more resemble the breed it is. IMO it looks like a delaware, but the leg color is wrong. So not really sure.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by