1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me identify this plant - pumpkin? watermelon? gourd? squash?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wynette, Aug 10, 2011.

1. pumpkin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. watermelon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. squash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. gourd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got a few horses, which means I've got LOTS of manure. We pile it up over fall/winter, and then spread it over our field in spring/summer.

I had a few smaller piles this year, and this plant was a volunteer in one of the manure piles. I told DH not to spread this pile, as I was curious to know what the plant was. I'm hoping pumpkin, and that's entirely likely since we have a huge pumpkin farm behind our 10 acres. Also, I do feed my chooks pumpkins, squash, and watermelon, and I suppose it's possible that they could have pooped out part of a seed....anyway - what are your thoughts?

Here's a view of most of the plant - it's a large plant, the largest leaves maybe being a hair smaller around than a basketball (?), and they are lobed. The actual plant is probably....oh, maybe 12' from one end to the other:

[​IMG]

I tried to get a pic of one of the flowers opened, but none of them were open at the time I took pics - but, they are yellow:

[​IMG]

And - here is the veggie that is growing - there are a few, maybe 3 of these that I've found thus far - at the time of the pic, this one was maybe just shy of the size of a basketball:

[​IMG]

I'm REALLY hoping it's a pumpkin - I've tried to grow them a few times and have never been successful, but to say I have a green thumb would be an out & out lie. Thanks for the feedback!

2. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Congratulations - I'm pretty sure it's a Pumpkin! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Oh, I hope you're right! [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only thing is, be prepared, these will cross pollinate, you could get an odd fruit indeed....

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I don't know, the leaves are really deeply lobed for pumpkin vines (at least compared to the ones I'm growing). It looks more like a melon vine, but those fruits don't look like watermelons. Or canteloupe.

It's a conundrum!

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Looks like a pumpkin at teh moment, but could turn out to be a squash. Hopefully it matures in time for you to find out!

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Gourds and pumpkins are types of squash. From what I remember when I grew some, the plants looked pretty much the same. What we called it was based on what the fruit looked like.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Ok so first... pumpkins are squashes. I'll say a pumpkin, unless you've been feeding the animals the innards from large squashes last year.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, I knew that a pumpkin is a type of squash...and I figured they are all in the same family, but wasn't completely sure.

Judy, what do you mean it would cross pollenate? I don't have any other squashes...

Saddina, actually, come to think of it, yes, they do get squashes to eat (chooks, not horses). Sheesh, I guess if it DID come from a gut, it could be canteloupe, watermelon, pumpkin, acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash....darnit! I want it to be a pumpkin! [​IMG]

ETA: Maybe I'll wait a few weeks & add some update pics!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Out of all the things you said it could be, the fruit looks like a pumpkin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by