1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me Identify this roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by robla64, Oct 17, 2015.

1. robla64

robla64 New Egg

Oct 17, 2015
    Not sure if he's the "free exotic chick" or one of the 15 cockoo maran females that got past the sexing process.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I want to say Blue Wyandotte, but those are pretty uncommon. Where did you get the chicks?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very unusual coloring - beautiful but have no idea of breed or if mixed

4. robla64

robla64 New Egg

Oct 17, 2015
    We got him from Murrary McMurray.  Came in with an order of cockoo maran females

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree that's what he looks like, but Murray McMurray doesn't list Blue Wyandottes in their inventory. The closest bird they have to Blue Wyandottes are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hmm, that's true, but I have experienced an odd thing happen before with these guys: my boss ordered 50 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and ended up with one completely Blue chick out of the few that arrived. Definitely a Wyandotte, definitely Blue. Also from a hatchery that supposedly doesn't carry them. I'm inclined to think that is what may have happened here.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm inclined to think you are right as that seems the only reasonable explanation here. :eek:)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Well, he's not a Marans, with that rose comb and yellow legs.

I'm thinking some Wyandotte, also, but those do look like cuckoo markings in the sex feathers. He's a very striking bird! I'd send his pic to MMM and see what they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by