Help me identify this stray rooster is please?

chickwhisper8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
So this rooster showed up as a stray and would not go home! Dad put up signs and no one claimed him - we don't know what breed he is. He has feathered feet and five toes and is still a little afraid of the older hens so far.i think he has a rose comb or a pea comb. Any help appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you with us! I think that your rooster is a Silkie mix and the kind of comb he has is a walnut comb.
smile.png

I have never heard of a walnut comb, thanks for telling me!

Does this mean he will stay a smaller size? Should I be concerned he is afraid of the older hens so far, or is that personality of the mixed breeds?

I have never heard of a walnut comb, thanks for telling me!

Does this mean he will stay a smaller size? Should I be concerned he is afraid of the older hens so far, or is that personality of the mixed breeds?

Not necessarily, there are large fowl silkies and bantam silkies but it also depends on the kind of cross he is.

To me he looks like a silkie cochin cross. I think he's full grown, but may still be young. He's right to be afraid of those hens---they can be mean!!! But if you intend to keep him with them, they'll sort things out and he will mate them eventually. Even if he's lots littler, he'll sure have fun trying, even if he doesn't actually manage to fertilize all the hens.

Thanks I have one chicken that likes to bother him the rest don't. He also likes my young chickens as they tolerate him more. But I don't now if I am going to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom