1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help me if u can

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karhernandez33, Apr 22, 2011.

1. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    i have a 2 week old polish chick that seams to be conctpated but when it dose go its stuck to it what can i do
    [​IMG]

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ok, easy but important issue here. You do have to treat this because if a chick can't poop and it gets blocked it can kill it. Some people simply trim some of the down feathers from around the vent. We have had good luck cleaning them up with a warm wet washrag and then applying baby oil, or mineral oil, to the vent area. It seems to help keep it from sticking back there. If that doesn't help a small drop of olive oil or cooking oil in the beak to eat. Be careful not to squirt it in the nostrils, it can get in the lungs. Usually, cleaning them good and oil does the trick. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    thanks i will try the oil, i have cut some feathers away but not many and i wash it butt with warm water about every 2 days , i am going to fix it up right now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by