Help Me if you care about chickens !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GingerJane, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have two silkie hens that stay in the nesting box because of fear of bully hens, I got them in august, they were fine for a while, but now for a month they won't come out, because they are terrified of some hens, they have to be miserable.

Can this be fixed? What can I do? Can I do anything ????

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd isolate the most dominant, agressive birds from the other chickens for two weeks or so. When you put them back in, they should be lower in the pecking order, and hopefully won't be too mean to the Silkies.

How much room do your birds have? The Silkies might be scared because they can't get far enough away from the other birds. Ideally, chickens should have at least two square feet of inside space and five square feet of outside space.

Silkies do tend to be a rather timid, submissive breed. They may always be like this. I know that some of my birds, once dominated and fought by another chicken, are often frightened of them. Even if the dominant bird is no longer mean to them, they still run when they see it. Eventually, they begin to feel more comfortable around the dominant bird/birds.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. GingerJane

Apr 8, 2013
    Well I don't have another coop, should i just buy a small coop to put the bullies in?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you could do that. If you have a dog crate/kennel, you can also put them in there temporarily. Even large cardboard boxes could be used for a temporary home.

5. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    I would...

6. GingerJane

Apr 8, 2013
    Good news! They got over being scared and isolated they are 100% comfortable with the other hens, they do not get picked on anymore! Everyone is all happy!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by