1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me I'm new at this.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blackwpk, Aug 24, 2014.

1. blackwpk

blackwpk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    I will be getting my first 4wk old hens in a month and need to know the best feed for them, for how long, and when to start their laying feed. I appreciate any and all help!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! I use Nature Wise chick starter/grower.

3. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello[​IMG],i don't have baby chicken's just pullet's but there is great advice and information here for every stage of development!

4. blackwpk

Aug 21, 2014
    Yes, mine will be RIR's - 4 of them. I want to be able to be ready for the 'girls'' arrival. How long do I keep them on chick feed? Is it until 16wks? Is it at 16wks that they will start laying? I'm hungry for info from anyone who will give it to me. I want to do my girls right from the beginning. The coop is almost finished. They will have shade, a nice place to run, nice nesting materials, they will pretty much be spoiled rotten, I just need to know this info. Thank you to anyone who is willing to spend the time!

5. blackwpk

Aug 21, 2014
    Awesome! I appreciate the help!! [​IMG]

6. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd feed chick starter until they lay an egg. Most chickens do not start until 20 weeks. If your worried about them not getting enough calcium then I'd start offering oyster shell grit once they are 16 weeks. My chickens are 16 weeks at the moment and I'm still feeding chick starter, but now I'm giving them oyster shell grit too.

7. blackwpk

Aug 21, 2014
    Thank you SO much for this information, I greatly appreciate it!! You have been most helpful!! [​IMG]

8. arkansas55

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    good advice from lightchick,well done,i bought the crushed calsium today,sound's like your an addict too already!

9. blackwpk

Aug 21, 2014
    Absolutely!! LOL! I can't wait to receive my girls soon! I am so excited!!! [​IMG]

10. arkansas55

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    wohooooooooooooooooo,i hear a chicken addict,lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by